Frequently Asked Questions
Question about Admission and Scholarship
Please contact the Student Admission Section.
There are a number of conditions that must be considered.
- Does your academic background meet our requirements?
- Do you have any special research interests?
- Is there a supervisor available in the study program applied for?
Yes, the Faculty of Graduate Studies requires one of the following English Proficiency Test scores :
- TOEFL Paper-Based score of 500 or higher
- IELTS score of 5.5 or higher
English is the sole language used for instruction, seminars, examinations and the thesis process in all study programs.
The estimated average total tuition cost of international graduate programs, by Academic Discipline and Level is given in the following tables.
Graduate Diploma Program
Field of Study Tuition Cost Medical Science 6,600 US $
Master's Degree Program
Field of Study Tuition Cost Environment and Natural Resources 11,000 US $ Linguistics, Culture and Education 6,000 US $ Medical Science 13,000 US $ Public Health 8,700 US $ Science and Technology 13,000 US $ Social sciences, Humanities and Liberal Arts 6,000 US$
Doctoral Degree Program
Field of Study Tuition Cost(Hold a Bachelor's) Tuition Cost(Hold a Master's) Environment and Natural Resources 13,000 US $ 12,000 US $ Medical Science 19,000 US $ 11,000 US $ Public Health 9,200 US $ 5,200 US $ Science and Technology 19,000 US $ 11,000 US $
- Foreign applicants may be granted financial assistance from their home countries, or one of the many international funding agencies collaborating with Mahidol University, including Ford Foundation, JICA, SEAMEO and WHO etc.
- Applicants who are government officers from neighboring countries can apply for a scholarship provided by the Thai Government ( Thailand International Development Cooperation Agency, TICA ). Applications for scholarships must be submitted through the government of their home countries. There are "7 priority programs"
- Master of Clinical Tropical Medicine,
- Master of Science in Natural Resources Management,
- Master of Science in Industrial Ecology and Environment,
- Master of Science in Food and Nutrition for Development,
- Master of Arts in Health Social Science,
- Master of Education in Educational Management and
- Master of Arts in Population and Reproductive Health Research for this scholarship.
- Funding for individual programs applied for is also available. Applicants should request further details from the respective program. Contact information of each program can be found on the page "Admission Requirements"
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies also annually provides partial support for outstanding students. Application is allowed after enrollment as students at Mahidol University. Please see category of support on the page "Scholarships and Swards".
Yes, students in the graduate diploma program, the master's degree program and the doctoral degree program can generally graduate in 1, 2, and 3 years respectively. Some master's degree programs only require a minimum of one year's study. However, it is depend very much on research achievement, mean that many students exceed minimal time of the course, and can spend time until maximal time for the course.
Question about Registration
All graduate students attending programs at Faculties, Institutes, Colleges and Centers at Mahidol University must contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies whose main office is located on Salaya Campus. See contact information on the page "Contact Us"
Faculties, Institutes, Colleges and Centers of Mahidol University offering international graduate programs are located in different campuses. Students attending the programs at the following Faculties will be based on one of the following three campuses :
Bangkok Noi Campus
- Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital
- Faculty of Medical Technology
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Public health
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Tropical Medicine
- Institute of Innovation and Development of Learning Process
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environment and Resources Studies
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Faculty of Social Science and Humanities
- College of Religious Studies
- ASEAN Institute for Health and Development
- Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Institute of Nutrition
- Institute of Population and Social Research
- Institute of Science and Technology for Research and Development
Bangkok Noi Campus is located beside the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok. Phayathai Campus is located in central Bangkok near Victory Monument. Salaya Campus is in a semi-rural area of Nakhon Pathom, just outside Bangkok Metropolitan area and only 20 kilometers from downtown Bangkok.
There are 4 branch offices of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Students on the campus can contact one of the following offices :
- Branch Office of Salaya Campus
- Branch Office at the Faulty of Dentistry
- Branch Office at the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital
- Branch Office at the Faculty of Science
- Branch Office at the Faculty of Tropical Medicine
See contact information on the page "Contact Us"
Students in faculties, institutes, colleges and centers locates in Salaya Campus report themselves at the Public Sector and International Relations Office, the Dean office, 2 nd Floor, Faculty of Graduate Studies. Those in other campuses report themselves at the Program Office which will be informed in the letter of acceptance.
Question about Student Life
Prior to entering Thailand, foreign applicants who are accepted for study in international postgraduate programs at Mahidol University must obtain a letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies. This letter must be presented to the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country in order to obtain a proper "non-immigrant visa". Tourist visas, which usually allow visitors to stay in Thailand for 30 to 90 days, are not appropriate. Entering Thailand without the proper visa will require leaving and re-entering the country, as the non-immigrant (student) visa may only be obtained outside Thailand. For further details on how to apply for a Thai visa, contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Health insurance is compulsory for all students. The cost is 38 US $ per year, which is included in the tuition fee. Students can choose to be insured for a private hospital. Furthermore, students can use service at Dental and Health Affair Units, provided by Mahidol University, in their study campus.
Yes. Plentiful low-cost accommodation is available both on and near Mahidol's three campuses. Some faculties maintain accommodation facilities exclusively for their students. The Faculty of Graduate Studies can assist postgraduate students in finding suitable accommodation upon acceptance. To enquire about accommodation options, contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies firstname.lastname@example.org directly or the respective Chairman of Administrative Program Committee. Contact information of each program can be found in page Admission Requirements.
The cost of living in Bangkok is high compared to other parts of Thailand but how much money you will actually spend will depend on your personal lifestyle.
Examples of items (at year 2005 prices) are:
Item Price Accommodation
- Salaya Campus
- Payathai Campus
- Bangkok Noi Campus
1,500 - 5,000 Baht/month
2,000 - 5,000 Baht/month
2,000 - 5,000 Baht/month
Utilities (cooking gas, electricity and water supplies) 1,000 Baht/month Food (depending on diet) 3,000 Baht/month Bus Ticket (air condition)
Bus Ticket (without air condition)
8 - 20 Baht
4 - 5 Baht
A can of coke 15 Baht A bottle of water (200 ml) 6 Baht A plate of rice with curry 25 Baht A hamburger 40 Baht A bottle of milk (200 ml) 10 Baht A movie ticket 120 Baht